Healthcare Locum Agency – ThinkLocum

Make sure you don't miss out on our great shifts and locum perks.

What documents do I need to work as a Locum?

There are endless guides and articles for locum doctors explaining the exact documents and compliance they need to prepare for work. But we want to simplify these lists and set out clearly the documents you need.  We recommend locum doctors working their way down this list to make sure they are prepared to begin work. 

Curriculum Vitae

A clear and prepared CV

Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT)

A CCT confirms that a doctor has completed approved training in the UK. You can apply for your CCT certificate online. This will follow once you have completed all parts of the mandatory training. 

GMC certificate of full registration

Once you have received your CCT certificate you must apply for full registration on the GP register with the General Medical Council.

Performers list inclusion letter

GP registrars that have trained in the UK are likely to already be on the performers list. You can apply for inclusion online in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. You can check your inclusion online in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. If you change your status to locum GP, you should inform the performers list of the change. This can be done for England here. If working in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, we recommend you contact your local health board to inform them.

Certificate of medical indemnity

Contact your defence organisation and inform them of the type of locum work you will be undertaking (for example, in a practice or out of hours). You will need to give an estimate of the average number of sessions you will be working. 

Valid DBS check

This can usually be obtained via your LMC from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Once you have your new certificate you have 19 days to apply for an automatic update service, which keeps your registration updated via direct debit at a cost of £13/year. It is worth setting this up. 

Proof of immunisations

Not all practices or agencies will require this, but it is a good idea to have it to hand if they do.


You should include two recent references.

Copy of passport

This is proof of eligibility to work in the UK.

Get in touch with the team and submit your document to start working with us.

Share This :

Looking for Locum Jobs?

Register with ThinkLocum to receive exclusive vacancies across all medical specialties, on a daily basis.

Suggested support

Upload CV